For the Bars:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour or substitute with all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted (or substitute melted coconut oil to make it vegan/dairy free)
- 2 cups small-diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon
- 1-2 tsp granulated sugar
For the Vanilla Glaze (optional but delicious, especially if you prefer a sweeter bar):
1 tablespoon Condensed milk( just warm it and make it thin)
* Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
* In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
* Scatter half of the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of the granulated sugar all over. Scatter on the remaining strawberries, then the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top. You will have some fruit showing through.
* Put the baking tray in the preheated oven for 30- 35 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping smells toasty and looks golden. Once done, let it cool down.
* After the bars cool, you can pour the thinned down condensed milk over it with a spoon or whisker. * Using the parchment-paper, lift the bars from the pan. Drizzle with glaze, slice, and serve.